The Trade-Mart Dundee Stars visited Guildford Flames for the final time this season on Sunday evening and they could end the English side’s title hopes with their first win of the campaign in Surrey.

By Kris Smith

Both teams made a change in net as Dundee’s Anton Svensson came in for Brython Preece and Guildford went with Eamon McAdam over Taz Burman, the Stars had forward, Ben Brown back in the line-up whilst Romans Semjonovs missed out again.

Just as they did on Saturday night, the Stars got off to a good start and quickly converted the first powerplay of the night on nine minutes, as Guildford’s Sam Marklund was penalised for a trip on Brown.

With the man advantage, former Flame, Johan Eriksson was given too much time and space, which allowed him to find a route past McAdam and he buried his shot in at the right-hand side.

The home team would find an equaliser in the 16th minute but only after Svensson made the save on Turner Ripplinger’s effort and the rebound dropped perfectly for Ian McNulty to tap in on the goal-line.

Paul Dixon’s men then got ahead through Kyle Locke’s goal but it would only be confirmed after a lengthy video review by the officials as the puck became lost under a pile of bodies.




Dundee remained one goal behind at the first intermission and the Flames came back out hungry for more, which they would get as they went on to add a third and fourth goal just two minutes apart.

Defenseman, Mike Crocock fired home their third inside 24 minutes as he beat the diving Svensson and then in the 26th minute, Daniel Tedesco made it 4-1 with a close-range finish after he closed in on goal.

The Tayside team would hit back with another powerplay goal late in the period and that set up an interesting final stanza, as Elijiah Barriga turned in the rebound from Philippe Sanche’s shot, on 36 minutes.

The third period also saw a quick goal scored to start the session off and it again went the way of the Flames as Ryan Tait lurked on the edge of the crease and when the chance came, he stuck the puck between the legs of Svensson as he tried to get across to deny the Guildford attacker.

However, Jeff Mason’s men would not go away and in the 48th minute, 19-year-old forward, Jonathan McBean scored his first professional goal as he put the puck on target from the left wing.

McAdam would make the save but the rebound came off a defender’s skate in front of goal and sprung across the goal line, making it a two-goal game once again.



Although, Dundee would then take their first penalty of the match as Hugo Reinhardt was sin binned for a hooking foul, straight from the restart and it took the home team just eight seconds to convert, as Marklund smacked home Brett Ferguson’s pass from behind the net.

Guildford’s Peter Crinella finished off the scoring in Dundee yesterday and would do the same again tonight as he netted in the 55th minute to make it 7-3, with a spectacular finish as he got his shot off whilst falling to his knees.

The final buzzer brought an end to Dundee’s charge for a playoff spot and they have just two games left to hunt down Fife Flyers and avoid finishing at the bottom of the Elite League.

Next weekend, the Stars visit the Flyers on Saturday night before welcoming Belfast Giants for the final game of the season, in what could be the league title deciding match.



Man of the Match

Dundee: #6 Drydn Dow

Guildford: #46 Mike Crocock




0-1 Johan Eriksson (Ben Sokay, Drydn Dow) 09:26 PPG

1-1 Ian McNulty (Turner Ripplinger, Robert Lachowicz) 15:19

2-1 Kyle Locke (Ryan Tait, Ben O’Connor) 17:57



3-1 Mike Crocock (Ben O’Connor, Ian McNulty) 23:53

4-1 Daniel Tedesco (Jordan Klimek, Ryan Tait) 25:29

4-2 Elijiah Barriga (Philippe Sanche, Ben Sokay) 36:35 PPG



5-2 Ryan Tait (Brett Ferguson, Daniel Tedesco) 44:05

5-3 Jonathan McBean (Craig Garrigan, Chris Lidjsman) 47:56

6-3 Sam Marklund (Brett Ferguson, Ryan Tait)  48:29 PPG

7-3 Peter Crinella (Sam Marklund) 55:26


All images: John Uwins.

Trade-Mart Dundee Stars Team
54 Games
22 Wins
25 Losses
7 OT Losses
51 Points