The Trade-Mart Dundee Stars pulled three points clear of their Scottish rivals, Glasgow Clan after pulling off a 4-3 comeback victory in overtime at the Dundee Ice Arena.

By Kris Smith

The Stars had returned to a full four forward lines and six defenders as Kris Inglis was available again after missing the last eight weeks through an upper-body injury, but fellow blueliner Chris McKay sat out through suspension.

The visitors would get off to a better start as just four minutes into the game, Matt Barry was perfectly placed to sweep home a loose puck after a scramble in front of the Dundee goal.

The Stars would then have the first and only powerplay chance of the opening period but failed to trouble Glasgow and the Braehead club continually and comfortably cleared the danger.

Jake Elmer then came closest to bringing the home side level as he caught Clan keeper, Antti Karjalainen off guard and attempted a wraparound shot from behind the net but his effort sailed across the face of goal.



The Clan took their narrow lead into the second period but soon extended it to 2-0 as Darien Craighead capitalised on a miscommunication in the Dundee defence.

Just 39 seconds after the restart, the puck bounced off the glass behind the goal and sprung out in front of Carr’s net, where Inglis took possession but Glasgow’s Reid Petryk would poke the puck away and onto the stick of Craighead.

Marc LeFebvre was frustrated to see his side stalling offensively but they would soon get off the mark and punish the Clan for a holding penalty against Reece Kelly, in the 30th minute.

Ryan Valentini skated the puck around the back of the net and as he came around on the right wing, he played a pass across goal to Spencer Naas at the back post and he fired home to make it a one-goal game once again.



The Stars were then unable to capitalise on another man advantage just moments later and would remain a goal behind, heading to the third period.

However, Naas stepped forward again and levelled for the Taysiders on 45 minutes, this time being positioned on the edge of the crease and completely free to take Craig Moore’s pass, before turning the puck past Karjalainen.

Although, the Clan responded just moments later through Cody Sol, as the big defenseman screamed out for a drop pass from Gary Haden before burying his shot, high and over the left shoulder of Carr, inside 48 minutes to restore Glasgow’s lead.

The quick response did not set Dundee back and they instead produced an even quicker reply, this time Valentini bagging the leveller as he stood unmarked at the back post and was picked out by Brendan Harms’ pass.

It took the Stars less than a minute to tie the game at 3-3 but there would be no more scoring in regulation, despite end-to-end action and a late powerplay for the Clan.

Therefore, overtime would be required for the fourth time in Dundee’s last five matches but halfway through the extra period, Valentini would end the game by slinging the puck into the top corner, after skating it all the way up the ice.

The Stars stay in fifth but now move three points clear of the Clan, who sit sixth and will head south tomorrow to take on Elite League leaders, Sheffield Steelers for the fourth time this season.



Man of the Match

Dundee: #9 Ryan Valentini

Glasgow: #77 Darien Craighead




0-1 Matt Barry (Darien Craighead) 04:02



0-2 Darien Craighead (Reid Petryk, Bryce Reddick) 20:39

1-2 Spencer Naas (Ryan Valentini, Drydn Dow) 30:30 PPG



2-2 Spencer Naas (Craig Moore, Brendan Harms) 45:41

2-3 Cody Sol (Gary Haden, Charlie Combs) 48:27

3-3 Ryan Valentini (Brendan Harms, Drydn Dow) 49:22



4-3 Ryan Valentini (Kevin Carr) 62:41


All images: Derek Black.

Trade-Mart Dundee Stars Team
OT Losses